It's incredible what deadlines do to one's productivity. After months and months (or was that years?!) of procrastinating on my large abstract diptych project, I finally faced the blank canvases today. And, that's because an unexpected situation* came up over the last week that raised the issue of the blank canvases. So, I knew I HAD to do something. Quick.
Anyway, I started to brainstorm some more ideas today by sketching and taking out my art materials. I finally decided to work with this sketch:
I like the idea of balancing lines and curves. So, working with circles and linear patterns seemed best. I then decided to lightly sketch my idea on to the canvases by putting the two canvases side by side (I used coloured pencils for sketching):
Then, I tossed between 1) painting a background; 2) painting the circles first; and/or 3) painting the linear design first. I decided to take option #2 as I wanted to see how I can push the circular patterns, seeing as I was working with two square canvases.
Since I had two main colours that I want to work with - blue and brown - I decided to use shades of blue and purple with the circles. My paint colours of choice were Pacific Blue (Atelier), Cobalt Blue (Winsor and Newton) and Bright Purple (W & N). I also decided to incorporate some Titanium White. Yep - all acrylics.
Here are the canvases after the circles have been painted:
Now, I just have to figure out what to do next. 😉
* When I'm in a better position to divulge the details, I'll write another update later on regarding this unexpected situation. Oh... But, I just realised that there's a clue in one of these photos... Heh.