Welcome to Week #3 of our 52 Weeks of Blog Community project. And, this week, it's all about GENEROSITY and TRUST.
Generosity, because this week, I'd like to encourage you to Support a Blogger in the best possible way.
You see, just yesterday, I was talking to a friend about blogging and the online community in general. She said she loves what the web offers, but she asked me why people actually post all these free resources and information on blogs and websites. She kept asking, "What do people get out of it?"
That's when we started talking about the Giving Web. How wonderfully generous people are to offer open source software, to write free instructions, to collate useful information, to give free advice and tips... all on the web. Yes, some people ask for donations. Some hope that you'll click on an ad or two, or buy from their affiliate links. Some simply ask to be bookmarked, visited again, or commented on.
Whatever it may be that they're hoping for, they mostly rely on folks to support their efforts in some way. And, even if they don't get the support from everyone, they're encouraged enough to keep on going based on a few people. They trust that out of hundreds or thousands of folks... someone will leave a comment, give a donation, or offer support in some other way.
So, this week, I urge you to Support some of your favourite bloggers. If you can give more of your time and other resources to more than one or two, then that's great. If not, then don't worry about it. There'll be other days...
You can support a blogger by:
1) Clicking on an ad that interests you (turn off 'ad blindness' for a short time?)
2) Buying from their affiliate link (Amazon, clickbank, etc)
3) Leaving a comment (especially if you've never left one before)
4) Sending a small donation (you never know what a $1 can do!)
5) Supporting their charity or one of their projects, etc.
I'm sure you can think of other ways!
Now, on TRUST... Well, I won't ask you to tell me who you supported and in what way. If you wish to join this week's task, simply leave a comment and let me know that you're off to do it in the spirit of this community project. If you'd rather not leave a comment, that's okay too.
But, if you do leave a comment, at least one or two (or all) of these can happen: a) I will add you to next week's round-up; b) I will send some support to YOU in some way; c) other people who're part of this project might choose to support you too; and d) you get another chance at winning this month's prize: a Flickr Pro account OR a Picnik Pro account.
Now, for last week's participants...
- Kari, who wrote Violate This Moron II (and linked to 52WoC).
- Nenette, who linked to Kari via a fun meme.
- Jami of BionicBeauty also linked to Nenette via another interesting meme.
- Jen Hill, wrote a special on The Bionic Beautyâ„¢ blog: Achieve Powerful Beauty!â„¢ - linking to Jami.
- Special props to our only guy in the project - Tris Hussey. He wrote a very creative post on link loving - and linked to Jen's MythBusterBeauty blog. Yay.
- Deb Ng also joined the project for the first time. But, unfortunately, I can't find her link. So, Deb, if you're reading this, just let me know where I can find it. 🙂
- The fabulous Christina also joined for the first time. Again, I'm lost on the link.
- And, then there's Nicola... whoe created a very pink post, in honour of Christina. And, now I owe her a dedicated post. Coming soon. 🙂
So, there you go. Thanks so much to all Week #2 participants.
Looking forward to all the amazing things you'll do this Week #3. This task (and the comments for this post) ends on Monday, 4th of Feb 2008.