Indeed, it has been a year since I welcomed a new addition to my li'l family. And now, look at how she has grown!
As you can probably imagine, it has been quite a year for me - and the rest of the family. Juggling being a parent to two kids, full time work, running a household, side projects... Yep. Never a dull moment.
Before this year, I thought I was already one busy woman. Who knew I could do so much more? Made me wonder if I've been such a slacker before I had all these things in my life. 😉
Anyway, other than learning to do more with my time, I've picked up a few other lessons along the way since having my little girl...
1. My heart is capable of more love than I could ever imagine. I guess, kids have a way of doing that - in many unexpected ways. But, before having a child, I didn't think I was capable of loving someone so much. So, when I found out that I was having a second one, I couldn't fathom the idea of being able to love even more. How can I love two kids that way? I thought hearts have limits. Having my girl made me realise that hearts always have more room for love.
2. Two kids are definitely more than one. Obvious? Perhaps. But, the fact that both my husband and I find our hands full A LOT MORE made us realise that no matter how tiring it was to have one child, at least we can 'tag team' before. Now, with two kids clamoring for attention at the same time, there's no such thing - since we both need to be on duty. And, without extra hands to help us... well, we just need to learn to do more. Unless one of the kids was occupied or asleep, that is. Both of them sleeping at the same time? That's called rare bliss. 😉
3. Having a daughter is wonderful. Of course, having a son is wonderful too. But yeah, the thought of having a girl really freaked me out before. There are so many reasons behind that thinking, so I won't get in to them. But now, even though I still wonder what my relationship will be like with my girl as she grows up, I must say that I'm really enjoying our relationship NOW. Yes, I find that there are definitely differences in raising a boy and a girl. Not necessarily because I'm trying to raise them in a different way. It's just the way they are. And yes, I'm loving that I can buy cute little shoes, clothes, clips, bags, and dolls now. For the girl, of course. Heh.
4. It's not necessarily easier, just clearer. Everyone kept telling me before that the second time around is easier, yada yada yada. Never believed it, really. And, it's true. Being a second time parent isn't necessarily an easier situation. But, the good thing is that I don't find myself panicking so much. I feel more confident in my decisions and choices.
5. Happiness comes in twos. While it may feel that it's harder work having two kids, it also brings double the joy. It's such a pleasure seeing my two kids grow up. My heart overflows when I witness how they interact with each other. The sound of two kids laughing... giggling... playing... It just makes my house feel absolutely like home.
And yes, to my beautiful girl (even though you won't be able to read this now, I just want to say...): You've changed my life in many many ways. Thank you for being in my life. And, I'm just so grateful that I am in yours. Happy birthday!