I love cheese. And, I love pastry. So, every now and then, I try to experiment with eating and/or cooking things that mix cheese and pastry.
A few years ago, I discovered the wonderful mix of spinach and feta cheese. Wrapped in yummy crispy, flaky pastry. I was taken with it.
However, it's one of those things that I like, but I don't want to have too much of. Like wine and cider, I suppose. 🙂
That's why I don't eat or cook this meal a lot. I probably have it only a couple of times a year or so. To my husband's dismay, as he loves it.
Anyway, today is one of those rare moments when I decided that I wanted something out of my usual cooking repertoire. I was already craving for a bit of fillo* pastry a couple of weeks ago. That's why I bought the ingredients for this meal last week. I don't have a permanent recipe for this, as I like trying different things whenever I decide to cook this spinach and feta cheese fillo pie. I guess, I'm still looking for the perfect combination.
However, when I posted this photo on my social networks earlier, I had a couple of friends who requested for the recipe. The one I followed today was actually written on the box of the store-bought fillo pastry I bought. I only used the said recipe as a guide. I didn't follow it too closely, so I'm rewriting the whole thing as I remember what I did. So, feel free to tweak this to your own preference too. Do let me know if you give this a go!
- 375 grams fillo sheets
- 175 grams melted butter
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 200 grams feta cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsps spring onions, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 160'C (fan-forced) or approximately 180'C.
- Lightly grease a pie pan (approximately 24 cms in diameter if using a round pan) with oil spray or melted butter.
- Wash and dry the fresh spinach leaves, then chop them into small pieces.
- Put the spinach in a mixing bowl, then add the chopped onions, spring onions, and feta cheese. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with olive oil. Add salt and pepper as desired. Mix well together.
- Add the egg mixture to the spinach leaves and cheese mixture. Mix well and then set aside. This is your pie fillings.
- Using store-bought fillo pastry (or your own homemade one, if you wish), create a base for your pie using half of the pack/box. Create the layers two sheets at a time in your pie pan. Every two sheets, brush the top of the pastry with melted butter.
- Put half the pie fillings on top of the pastry base layer. Fold the pastry that's hanging out of the pan as neatly as you can into the middle.
- Finish off the remaining fillo pastry by layering two at a time again, brushing melted better every two sheets.
- When the pastry layer is complete, pour the rest of the pie fillings. Then, fold the excess pastry from the side into the middle, making sure the fillings are completely covered by the pastry.
- Brush the top of the pastry with melted butter.
- Bake in the oven for 45 mins or until golden brown.
A side note on fillo pastry: This is also known as phyllo or filo pastry. I'm all for making cooking life easy whenever possible, so I don't even attempt to make this from scratch. I find that a good store-bought one can do the job for me.