Confession time: There was a time when I hardly watched television. I'd probably choose one or two shows at any given time, and watch that whenever I can. But, there were very few that captured my time and attention. Back when my peers were talking about Friends and such, I had no idea what they were on about. It took me a few years before I caught up (fell in love with the series when I did!).
Over the years, I have an on-off relationship with the TV. There are times when I get really really into the shows and would watch TV religiously (Ally McBeal, Felicity, Veronica Mars...). And, there are times when I would go back to my "TV? Who's got time for that?!" phase.
This year is probably a year that I'd say I am very much into the whole TV thing.
Granted, I didn't like this year's Masterchef Australia (lost interest after a few episodes). And, I am not sure what the fuss is all about Breaking Bad... But, yes, I am at a time right now when I have finally decided to watch TV shows that people have been raving about (and some no one may have heard about :)).
Some TV shows that I have fallen in-love with this year:
- Doctor Who - Just the reboot ones for now. Finished Season 1 with Christopher Eccleston and finished Season 2 with David Tennant. Currently going through Season 3 bit by bit.
- Firefly - It took me a while to get into this series, even though it has been recommended to me a little while back. When I first started watching it, I didn't get the appeal. But, when I reached Episode 6, something suddenly clicked. And, I became a fan. I couldn't get enough. I can't believe this show didn't last long. And yes, I am glad that it at least had the movie Serenity to tie things up a bit. But, it was still sad to see it end.
- Downton Abbey - I wasn't quite sure if I was going to get into this series or not, but people started talking about so much during Season 3 and so I became curious. I ended up catching up from the first season and fell in love. The end of Season 3 did my head in, though. Broke my heart in such a way that not many TV shows have done. In fact, I was so broken hearted that I am actually not sure if I am keen to keep going for Season 4.
- Hart of Dixie - Haha. Yes, I know. It's one of those TV shows that I didn't quite want to love, but I did, in spite of myself. I only watched Season 1 Episode 1 because iTunes offered it for free once. Bored, I watched it. And, well, I ended up enjoying it more than I expected. I ended up getting all caught up with Seasons 1 & 2. And yes, I just started watching Season 3 a few days ago.
- Vampire Diaries - Okay, sorry. Again, I didn't quite expect to like this one, let alone love it. In fact, after watching the Pilot episode with my sister early this year when I saw the series available at the local library, I couldn't be bothered to watch the rest. But then, a few weeks ago, while on a down time and surfing through Netflix, I saw it again and decided to give it another try. That time, I got hooked by the smoldering look of Stefan Salvatore. So, I ended up catching up on four seasons' worth of this show and I have started watching Season 5 too. Terrible me, huh? And, I am not even that keen on the whole horror/vampire genre!
- Jane By Design - This was another unexpected show I ended up liking. Yes, it's another lame teen drama/comedy, but I really liked the love story between Jane (the protagonist) and her bestfriend. I was so disappointed to find out that it was cancelled just after one season, leaving the story hanging. Very frustrating.
I have also started watching Dollhouse, based on a recommendation after I shared my love of Firefly. But, even after watching 5 or 6 episodes, I just couldn't get into it. So, I have given it a rest.
I also initially fell in love with Castle (again, an attempt to recapture my enjoyment of Firefly), but part way through Season 3, I kind of lost steam. I was bored of watching yet another murder and the whole thing was getting a bit too tedious for me. So, I decided to take a break from it. Maybe one day, I will try to watch it again.
Also tried watching Robin Hood and Sherlock, and while I think I will try Sherlock again some time, I'm not sure I'd get my enthusiasm back for Robin Hood (finished Season 1, I believe, but lost interest somehow...).
Of course, I have been meaning to watch Agents of SHIELD, but reserving this for another time. And, after watching the pilot for both Arrow and Beauty and The Beast, I think I might try to see how well I would like the rest of it.
And yes, there are the shows that I have been following over the last couple of years and continued to love this year like Game of Thrones and Once Upon A Time.
What about you? What are the new TV shows you've watched this year? Anything you'd like to recommend?