Yes, I'm in a random mood again. So, here are 6 things I wish to share with you this Sunday...
1. Things have been so topsy turvy on my side of the sky lately. Weird events. Illnesses (me & my kids). Site issues. Work stuff. And goodness knows what else. So, I'm really feeling that I'm in dire need of some therapeutic moments. Thank goodness for journal writing. And Plurk. And Twitter. And when possible, art-making. And lately, sewing. I may not get to do much of them all. But, even a little bit helps.
2. Writing of weird events, last Friday night, my family and I went to our friends' place to celebrate our good friend G's birthday. We ended up watching the incredible Opening Ceremonies of the 2008 Beijing Olympics together. When we went home late that night, we found our side gate open and the security lights on. We were immediately alarmed. So, we called the police because we didn't want to go in to the house, in case someone was in there. Just 15 minutes later (although the wait felt like forever!), the cops came and checked our house for us (cheers to our local Aussie police!). Everything was fine in the end. It seems like someone may have taken a peek in to the house, but may have been scared off due to our dog - and/or something else. In any case, it's all good. But, it sure did give us a massive scare!
3. And yes, our household has caught the Olympic fever! We've been cheering on the Aussies. And, it was so, so exciting to watch swimmer and current glamour/golden girl Stephanie Rice win our first Olympic gold medal in Beijing. Looking forward to more. Even my 4.5 year old boy has decided he'd rather watch the Olympics and skip his usual favourite kids' shows. He even keeps making us cheer for the Aussie athletes and singing the national anthem (yes, he knows ALL of the first part of "Advance Australia Fair" by heart!). Even carrying and waving an Aussie flag and shouting, "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!"
4. Since my first sewing attempts, I've managed to finish some more quick projects (made over the last 2 weeks or so):
This was meant to be a skirt, where I tried to test my elastic-inserting skills. Well, it turned out that it wasn't so good. I was going to re-do the whole thing, but decided to make a bag instead...
This is my second attempt at an elastic skirt for my li'l girl. As you can see, I was successful this time around. I was really pleased with it. And, it didn't take that long to finish. I even dared to sew a ribbon trim! She tested it out by wearing it on a shopping trip - and it didn't fall down. Not even once! Yay! 🙂
Here's another bag that I tried to make, using a different idea that I had. I wanted it to be a book bag of sort. And, it's the first one I made with a lining, using 2 different types of fabric. It wasn't great, but 'am still happy I finished it. Taught me a couple of things about making my own pattern. This bag already found a home with my friend. The first sewing project that I've given away as a gift (not including the stuff I've given to my kids, of course ;-)).
I'll share more of my finished projects in the next few days.
5. I'm seriously considering a blog redesign. This time, I feel like I'm ready to move beyond the free WordPress templates available. As in, pay for a good design that will help to load this blog faster - and show more of what I want to express here at S Studio. I don't have a massive budget. In fact, since this is the first time I'm really, really considering commissioning someone to do this, I'm a bit apprehensive on how it all will work out. Anyway, let's see how it goes. And, if you've got any suggestions or recommendations for blog designers, I'd love to hear from you.
6. 52WoC Stuff: Yes, I'm going to conclude our 52WoC #24 (Flickr Fun) this week, and launch 52WoC #25. I'm also going to hold 52WoC Virtual Party #5 soon! The winner will receive: a Flickr Pro Account OR one of my gocco prints OR a $25 Cash-equivalent (payable via Paypal). Yep - the winner can choose one of those prizes.
For 52WoC Virtual Party #6, here are a couple of things up for grabs ---
A red blank journal (lined)
A Set of Blank Notecards/Gift Cards.
Anyway, I hope you had a good weekend. And, here's wishing you a great week ahead...
Shai has been managing and blogging here at ShaiCoggins.com for 17 years. Here, she writes about creativity, productivity, and how to recharge for a better, happier lifestyle. She is the author of Today: Life Journal, Colour Bliss: Kaleidoscopes, and a little known children's book. A serial entrepreneur, Shai also currently runs Vervely.com, a boutique digital media agency offering online content, community, and conversion marketing services. Her blogging experience and digital work have been featured in various media, including being listed in Fast Company's "Most Influential Women in Technology" list. Originally from Manila, Shai lived in Singapore and the USA before moving to Australia with her British husband. They have two children, a pet bunny, and a rambunctious rescue Labrador.