Picking up some blogging inspiration from this sentiment that I picked from the social web circulation, I thought I'd share with you some of my "Happy Things of the Moment"* as part of my contribution to the Friday Five series.
* Happy Moments = Those things that just inspire and excite. Some from new discoveries, while others are based on rekindled joys.
1. Sketchnoting / Graphic Scribing / Visual Practice - And, just a general love for doodling, sketching, and making art again. I'll probably write more about this topic another time. But, if you're keen to know more, I've started Sketchnotes, a Posterous site where I plan on documenting and archiving things that I learn about visual practice. It's one of my attempts in to online public learning (yes, another topic that I've been meaning to blog about!).
2. Side blogging - Yes, I love blogging. I don't do enough of it. I'm trying. And, while I hope to blog more and more here at Studio Notes and my other official blogs, I'm still finding this to be a bit of a challenge. So, I thought I'd try side blogging instead. Or mobile blogging. Sort of a halfway point between blogging and Tweeting/FBing.
Other than Sketchnotes, I've already started my Tumblr site some time back, and I've been using its feed for my "Dailies" section here at Studio Notes. There, I mostly post Instagram pics with short comments about the images. Occasionally, I post a personal anecdote that's too long to be a Tweet or an FB status, but doesn't feel like it fits in Studio Notes either.
I've also started Studio Notes on the Go via Posterous. I plan to use it as my virtual travel/events/conferences journal/scrapbook. I might even post some retrospective stuff in it.
So, why is side blogging making me happy? Why not do it all in one space instead? Why leave a trail of several blogs when I can barely keep up with my personal and work one?
Well, that's another blog post that's on my list. 🙂
3. Some iOS5 Updates + Apple TV - Okay, I have to admit. I've got a bit of a love-hate relationship with the latest iOS5 updates from Apple. But, for the most part, I'm enjoying some of its features. Makes my gadgets a lot more fun to use.
And, have I ever told you just how much I love Apple TV? Seriously. I don't get to use it a lot as I don't get time to watch a lot of TV. But, that's what I love about it too. I love the fact that I can now watch TV shows I normally miss, not just on my computer, but on a proper TV screen at a touch of a screen.
So, with ABC iView, it's just soooo much cooler. I wish other TV stations would follow ABC on that front. 😉
4. Lifestyle change - Particularly, food and dance. Okay, admittedly, I love these two things most of the time. 🙂
The thing is, I haven't had time to do a lot of cooking and baking for many months. Then, a few weeks ago, I started to cook and bake more again.
And, doing this really cheers me up. I'm especially pleased when I discover new ways of doing things. Or learning something totally new or different.
And yeah... dance. A few months ago, I signed up for dance classes. It has been a long time since I've signed up for one. And now, I've been trying to go to them as regularly as I can.
What type of dance? Jazz/Modern and HipHop. Yes, you read that right. HipHop! Can you imagine? Haha. It's lots of fun.
Good that I ended up doing a bit more physical exercise considering all that food I'm making and consuming, yes? 😉
5. Coloured Shoes - I haven't been too adventurous with my shoe colours. I tend to buy blacks and browns a lot. Occasionally, I'd stray and get a navy blue or gray. Sometimes, I'd venture in to trying some colours... like my purple suede boots and my pink uggs. But, I very rarely wear them.
Not too long ago, I decided to go bold and buy a pair of red shoes. With REALLY HIGH HEELS. They're lovely. And, I ended up buying a pair of green booties. I don't normally like green. But these shoes, I love.
Funny how something that seems so shallow like shoes can be uplifting.
And no, I'm not using that as an excuse to buy more shoes. Well, maybe. 🙂
What about you? What's making you happy? What are you hoping to do more of?
Shai has been managing and blogging here at ShaiCoggins.com for 17 years. Here, she writes about creativity, productivity, and how to recharge for a better, happier lifestyle. She is the author of Today: Life Journal, Colour Bliss: Kaleidoscopes, and a little known children's book. A serial entrepreneur, Shai also currently runs Vervely.com, a boutique digital media agency offering online content, community, and conversion marketing services. Her blogging experience and digital work have been featured in various media, including being listed in Fast Company's "Most Influential Women in Technology" list. Originally from Manila, Shai lived in Singapore and the USA before moving to Australia with her British husband. They have two children, a pet bunny, and a rambunctious rescue Labrador.