So, I've shared this month's theme that I am exploring. And, since this week's word is "love", I thought I'd take this opportunity to write one of my Friday Five lists. And yes, focussing on things that I love right now.
1. My Family - Yes, it's a boring way to start this list. After all, I always love my family. Nothing new there. But, I am appreciating them a bit more right now for a number of reasons. Including the fact that they're the ones that help to keep me together whenever I feel like falling apart. And, yes, there has been some rough moments lately.
2. Going back to art-making. Not only did I convert our laundry room in to an art studio/laundry room a few weeks ago, as well as started doing some more art, I also decided to go back to learning the basics of art-making.
And with that, I ended up signing up for a beginner's art class again at a local boutique art school / studio. Only been to lesson so far but I am loving it. In fact, I am slowly getting into the habit of doing some kind of creative pursuit daily.
Yes, at the minimum, I try to work on my daily photo + daily hand lettering projects. I don't feel like I'm getting far with my photography at this stage, but I am glad that my hand lettering seems to be developing. And, I am really loving it.
3. My work - And, not in an obsessive workaholic fashion (which I am prone to do)... More like: "I really appreciate my work right now where I feel like I am still developing and accomplishing things professionally, but at the same time, I get to enjoy life with family, art-making more." Yes. That's the kind of love I am feeling for my work at Vervely at the moment.
Work is not stress-free in any way, but it is not stressful either. And, the good thing about working for myself: I have the liberty of saying that I work for the best boss ever. After all, who else will let me skive off for most of Monday to go on a walk/picnic with my sister by the beach and then a mini shop + talking dreams and the future on a perfect sunny day - after a morning of art?
Since I put some things in to place and I know I can catch up on work later in the day, it was a moment that I can enjoy guilt-free. After aforementioned rough patches, I really needed that kind of day.
4. Work-from-a-Cafe Days - Studies seem to show that working from cafes or a cafe-like environment can help to boost productivity and well-being of workers. Since I primarily work from my home office, I have come to the conclusion that allocating at least one day a week to work in a cafe or cafe-like environment would be good for my system.
Ideally, coworking would have been a great solution. But, due to a few things that have come up from that exploration, I am now back to being primarily a work-from-home professional. Not that I'm complaining!
While I still miss some of the great things about being part of an office environment full time, I have come to love doing this solopreneur life again. I like the fact that I can work in bed if I want to. And adjust the cooling or heating system to my liking. Or to have the TV on in the background if I want.
And yes, to go out and spend a good part of my day working from cafes. That's why I'm out to come up with a list of good cafes to work from in Adelaide. So far, I only have one on the list. But, I have only started exploring, so I'll try to report back as soon as I find a few more.
5. Journaling - Really, I do. I think I have never journaled so much in a long time. I think it goes with the rough patches and the 'slowing down' moments. But yes, I am currently journaling in a number of places, on top of my daily blog. I have paper journals, sketchbooks (where I even do dream journal entries), digital journals, and art journals. And, I love it. I've missed doing this... Missed having time to do other things, not just work.
Oh, and yes, that digital journal page prompt? I'm making it available as a free download for subscribers of my e-newsletter, "Notes from Shai". Yes, it's currently experiencing publication delay due to unexpected circumstances. But, I am determined to publish the first issue before the end of this month.
How about you? What are you loving right now?
Shai has been managing and blogging here at ShaiCoggins.com for 17 years. Here, she writes about creativity, productivity, and how to recharge for a better, happier lifestyle. She is the author of Today: Life Journal, Colour Bliss: Kaleidoscopes, and a little known children's book. A serial entrepreneur, Shai also currently runs Vervely.com, a boutique digital media agency offering online content, community, and conversion marketing services. Her blogging experience and digital work have been featured in various media, including being listed in Fast Company's "Most Influential Women in Technology" list. Originally from Manila, Shai lived in Singapore and the USA before moving to Australia with her British husband. They have two children, a pet bunny, and a rambunctious rescue Labrador.