So, I've shared this month's theme that I am exploring. And, since this week's word is "love", I thought I'd take this opportunity to write one of my Friday Five lists. And yes, focussing on things that I love right now.
1. My Family - Yes, it's a boring way to start this list. After all, I always love my family. Nothing new there. But, I am appreciating them a bit more right now for a number of reasons. Including the fact that they're the ones that help to keep me together whenever I feel like falling apart. And, yes, there has been some rough moments lately.
2. Going back to art-making. Not only did I convert our laundry room in to an art studio/laundry room a few weeks ago, as well as started doing some more art, I also decided to go back to learning the basics of art-making.
And with that, I ended up signing up for a beginner's art class again at a local boutique art school / studio. Only been to lesson so far but I am loving it. In fact, I am slowly getting into the habit of doing some kind of creative pursuit daily.
Yes, at the minimum, I try to work on my daily photo + daily hand lettering projects. I don't feel like I'm getting far with my photography at this stage, but I am glad that my hand lettering seems to be developing. And, I am really loving it.
3. My work - And, not in an obsessive workaholic fashion (which I am prone to do)... More like: "I really appreciate my work right now where I feel like I am still developing and accomplishing things professionally, but at the same time, I get to enjoy life with family, art-making more." Yes. That's the kind of love I am feeling for my work at Vervely at the moment.
Work is not stress-free in any way, but it is not stressful either. And, the good thing about working for myself: I have the liberty of saying that I work for the best boss ever. After all, who else will let me skive off for most of Monday to go on a walk/picnic with my sister by the beach and then a mini shop + talking dreams and the future on a perfect sunny day - after a morning of art?
Since I put some things in to place and I know I can catch up on work later in the day, it was a moment that I can enjoy guilt-free. After aforementioned rough patches, I really needed that kind of day.
4. Work-from-a-Cafe Days - Studies seem to show that working from cafes or a cafe-like environment can help to boost productivity and well-being of workers. Since I primarily work from my home office, I have come to the conclusion that allocating at least one day a week to work in a cafe or cafe-like environment would be good for my system.
Ideally, coworking would have been a great solution. But, due to a few things that have come up from that exploration, I am now back to being primarily a work-from-home professional. Not that I'm complaining!
While I still miss some of the great things about being part of an office environment full time, I have come to love doing this solopreneur life again. I like the fact that I can work in bed if I want to. And adjust the cooling or heating system to my liking. Or to have the TV on in the background if I want.
And yes, to go out and spend a good part of my day working from cafes. That's why I'm out to come up with a list of good cafes to work from in Adelaide. So far, I only have one on the list. But, I have only started exploring, so I'll try to report back as soon as I find a few more.
5. Journaling - Really, I do. I think I have never journaled so much in a long time. I think it goes with the rough patches and the 'slowing down' moments. But yes, I am currently journaling in a number of places, on top of my daily blog. I have paper journals, sketchbooks (where I even do dream journal entries), digital journals, and art journals. And, I love it. I've missed doing this... Missed having time to do other things, not just work.
Oh, and yes, that digital journal page prompt? I'm making it available as a free download for subscribers of my e-newsletter, "Notes from Shai". Yes, it's currently experiencing publication delay due to unexpected circumstances. But, I am determined to publish the first issue before the end of this month.
How about you? What are you loving right now?Read More
One of my mini-goals this year is to complete a 100 Things List. I've been meaning to do this for AGES, and for some reason, I've never managed to do it. That's why I'm really, really keen to do one this year.
Now, in honour of Valentine and our 52WoC Task #49, I thought I'd create this 100 Things That I Love List. Since my husband, kids, our families, friends, God, and such are all MUSTS, I thought I'd make them a "given" in my Love List. And, of course, there are some "private loves" (heh!) that I might not be brave enough to share here. So, I really have a 100+ list!
Now, here we go, in no particular order (and just because I love an activity, it doesn't mean I'm any good at them!)...
Yay, yay, yay! I did it. I finally completed a 100 Things list. Woohoo.
Well, meeting goals is another thing I love. 😉
Have you created YOUR own list for things that you love yet? Share your 100 lists or your love lists with us too please.
Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day to you all.
It's time, it's time, it's time for another 52 Weeks of Blog Community! And, since it's February --- I'm taking on the theme of "LOVE" (since January was more about "GOALS").
So, for our 49th task, I encourage you all to do something love-related on your blog. Some ideas might be:
Well, you get the picture. I'm sure you can amaze me with even more interesting and exciting ideas. And, I can't wait to see what you do with it!
In any case, as I promised, I'm sharing the round-ups from the last three tasks right here... And yes, just 3 more to go and we're done! Yay!Read More
Yes, I know that Valentine's Day is long gone. But, I haven't been able to share my love-related links during that week, so I thought I'd use this round of link loving goodness via our Web Wednesday feature -
Any other love-related links that you'd like to share with us? 🙂Read More
On this day of hearts, I'd like to dedicate this post to a different kind of love that people have an amazing ability to give during very difficult times.
As most of you would've heard by now, one of the worst disasters has struck Australia and its people last week - the terrible Victorian Bushfires. The effects of it are still felt until now. And most likely, for many months and years to come.
It's a heartbreaking situation to watch, even just on television, the web, and in the papers. I can never imagine what it must be like for those who lost lives, homes, properties, and loved ones.
However, one of the wonderful things that came out of this is the incredible amount of support that people have done to help those in need. At a time when it's easy to feel jaded and disillusioned by the terrible things that people do and say - it's incredible to witness the beauty of the human spirit.
I cannot put together a comprehensive enough list of every single person who did amazing things over the last week or so. I wish I'm able to. But, how can I? When I know that so many people have done so many things as best as they can to extend help --- from the young students who donated in schools' Bushfire Appeals to big corporations who held their own Bushfire Drives and Campaigns.
It's good to see people getting together for a common cause.
Some such people include the fantastic number of Australian bloggers, online entrepreneurs, and social media enthusiasts who did their best to use the web to offer help, resources, news, and other information. These are some of those that I have been made aware of:Read More